Written by Stephanie K.
Here lately, I've been thinking "Am I a Proverbs 31 woman?" I know many Christian women who have such a strong faith, and can speak so eloquently, that you know the Lord is speaking through them. They just have that natural ability. I also know some whose kindness melts your heart, or their gentle spirit calms and encourages you, or they just have the right advice to give you at the right time (which comes from their vast knowledge of the Lord and His words)! But do I have the virtues listed in those verses? I am neither soft-spoken nor can speak so eloquently. My sarcasm really can't be considered a virtue either. So let's take a look at some of the virtues of a Proverbs 31 woman and see where I need work.
2. Marriage - (Proverbs 31:11- 12, Proverbs 31:28-29) Sometimes we snip at each other mostly due to being tired, but we respect each other and praise each other.
3. Mothering - (Proverbs 31: 26, Proverbs 31: 28) I could
probably practice speaking with more kindness than I do now.
4. Health - (Proverbs 31:14-15, Proverbs 31: 17) I don't exercise like I should, and I eat too many sweets. So I need to work on that, especially since I'm baking a little one.
5. Service - (Proverbs 31:12, Proverbs 31:15, Proverbs 31:20) I put my family before my own needs, but I do not rise before the sun to make them breakfast. And for the most part, when someone needs something, I do my best to provide it or help to get it.
6. Finances - (Proverbs 31:16, Proverbs 31:18) Thank you to my FIL and our budget, our finances are looking up! The only debt I now have consists of: student loan, car loan, and mortgage. Therefore, we spend responsibly and can add to the budget something we want to save up for and buy!
7. Homemaking - (Proverbs 31:15, Proverbs 31:20-22, Proverbs 31:27) I don't consider myself a homemaker. I do laundry, clean, and cook now and then, but the house isn't as tidy as it should be. Like I said in #5, I don't cook the family breakfast. The morning just hurts, so I just throw cereal at them and call it a day. I do consider myself hospitable, but I'd rather the house be cleaner when people come over!
8. Time - (Proverbs 31:27) I'm never idle. I love just sitting on the couch doing nothing. So maybe I need to work on finding ways to better spend my time. I'd love to go to the park more with the kids instead of watching movies. Maybe that will be a goal for the next week.
9. Beauty - (Proverbs 31:10, Proverbs 31:21-22, Proverbs 31:24-25) In regards to outer beauty, I could wear trendier clothes and take time with my hair, but I don't want to get wrapped up in outer beauty. Plus I love jeans and a tshirt. But I love "Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come." If one can laugh at the future, one is faithful and not afraid of what's to come. I love to laugh, but I can't say I don't worry.
Where do you excel or fall short as a Proverbs 31 woman?