Finding Prayer Again


Growing up in a Catholic family, I never really understood the idea behind being "saved." I was baptized before the age of one, and although we reaffirm our love for God and our commitment to the Catholic religion in the Sacrament of Confirmation at an older age, it's not the same ideology behind many other religions. We are saved by the grace of God when we are baptized, and we renew that commitment to Him in Confirmation. I was raised in the Catholic religion, and although my mother was a very strong advocate of praying to God and saying the rosary, it became more like a chore to go to church than something I looked forward to. I believed I had a relationship with God, but it was on my terms, not His. I'd pray when I needed something, or I'd pray when I wanted to thank Him for something special in my life, but I didn't pray much overall.

I feel like everyone has that turning point in their life when they reevaluate their decision to believe and trust in the Lord. For me, it was a few years ago after college. I was going through a very tough time, and I had no idea where to turn. I tried going to church every Sunday, but I didn't leave feeling inspired. It was difficult, and while I still had my beliefs and trust in God, I didn't know how to fully rely on him.

At my lowest point, I just started finally talking to Him again. I would lay in bed at night and thank Him for my blessings and express my worries and concerns, and it just started feeling comfortable. I relied on Him and knew that at my lows and my highs, I was living for Him again. I started reading scripture as I used to, and I sought encouragement from friends that also lived for the Lord. Just being able to talk to others that understand and also seek to praise Him was so helpful for me. I felt like my life had purpose again.

Prayer is such an important part of my life now. I honestly can't believe that I ever went a day without talking to God and feeling His presence in my life. I didn't know how to make it through that dark time in my life, and I truly believe that was because I didn't allow the Lord in for a long time. It's through the darkest times that we should remember that He is always with us, and His love will guide us through.

 photo blog2_zpse65e9159.png

Thank you to Prayerful Bloggers for allowing me to guest post today! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to email me at genlynne330@gmail.com at any time, or stop by my blog at http://www.newhomenewnamenewadventure.blogspot.com. Blessings!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.