Which son are you going to be?

Matthew 21:28-30 ESV; [KJV]
What do you think? A man had two sons. And he went to the first and said, "Son, go and work in the vineyard today." And answered, "I will not," but afterward he changed his mind [repented] and went. And he went to the other son and said the same. And he answered, "I go, sir," but did not go.

Have you ever read this parable and literally placed yourself in either son's shoes? The first son said he wasn't going to go work that day, then repented because he knew he had done wrong, and went to work in the vineyard like his father asked. The second son said he would go, but didn't. Which son have you been? Has God been asking something of you and you say one thing but do another? Or are you the son who repents and follows His father? 
Casie Geuin Photography
What is your reply when God asks you:
Will you go teach a Bible Study? I'll go. But I don't want to teach someone the Truth who may not agree with me so if that's the case I don't think I'll be able to do that. I'm not ready to carry that cross. I'm not ready to put myself out there like that. What will people think of me?

Will you love me? I will. But don't ask me to do anything too hard. Don't make me step out of my comfort zone.

Will you spend time with me today? I will. Just as soon as I finish my morning routine. I might get distracted and run out of time though.

Will you follow me even when it's hard? I'll go. But don't make me give up too much of my time. I already have a lot on my to-do list. I may go astray along the way so please take it easy on me.

Do those responses sound familiar? I ran across this quote the other day from Elisabeth Elliot:
“Does it make sense to pray for guidance about the future if we are not obeying in the thing that lies before us today? How many momentous events in Scripture depended on one person's seemingly small act of obedience! Rest assured: Do what God tells you to do now and depend upon it, you will be shown what to do next.” 

Place yourself in this parable. Which son would you be? Which son are you going to be? 






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.